Relief Surgical Veterinary Technician
Department: Ellis Veterinary Clinic
Reports to: Medical Director
Direct Reports: None
Key Work Partners: Ellis Veterinary Clinic Team
Overview: One Tail at a Time is a forward-thinking animal rescue that will serve approximately 2,000 animals at the clinic annually. We are looking for a positive, independent working, experienced vet technician to help us reach our surgical goals. Ideal candidate will have a minimum of two years of experience working in a veterinary hospital or clinic, animal shelter experience preferred. Experience in surgical prep and recovery is required. Excellent communication, organization and technical skills are a must.
- Obtain animal histories from staff, volunteers and/or veterinary records. Perform and record physical examinations and perform and/or oversee diagnostic testing as needed. Communicate all findings to attending veterinarian. Ensure that medical records are adequately documented.
- Assist or assume duties and responsibilities as scheduled, to including induction and monitoring of anesthesia, prepping for surgery, taking radiographs, and performing dental procedures.
- Maintain required supplies for veterinary examinations in areas of the shelter where examinations are performed. Ensure that examination area is clean and tidy before, between and following exams. Transport animals to examination areas and restrain animals during veterinary examinations.
- Assist veterinarian with clerical tasks as needed.
- Provide medical information and fill prescriptions for fosters and in-house animals as needed.
- Provide fosters, adopters, and animal program staff with clear communication and information regarding the animals in their care
- Maintain updated animal records through immediate data entry during and after each appointment
- Report declining patients and urgent needs to veterinary staff immediately
- Maintain a clean working environment and always use appropriate spread of disease prevention.
Qualifications and skills
- Proficiency in standard veterinary technician skills, including but not limited to proper handling and restraint techniques, blood draws and diagnostics, skin scrapes, TPR, SQ/IM/IV injections, and catheter placement.
- Must possess moderate to expert veterinary pharmacy knowledge
- Must have a thorough knowledge of prescription veterinary medications and their uses
- Ability to do precise drug calculations and create accurate prescription labels
- Ability to work independently in a busy and dynamic environment
- Must be comfortable and competent in handling large dogs and working with any behavior issues.
- Excellent communications, organizational and technical skills.
- Shows maturity, good judgment and performs duties in a professional manner.
- Proficiency with personal computers, MS Word, MS Excel, Shelter database software
- Ability to lift 50lbs without assistance and lift up to 100 lbs. with assistance.
Email resume and brief cover letter to [email protected]