Job Title: Veterinary Technician
Department: Ellis Veterinary Clinic
Reports to: Medical Director
Direct Reports: None
Key Work Partners: Intake Staff, Clinic Staff, CRISP Staff, Volunteers
Overview: One Tail at a Time is a forward-thinking animal rescue that will serve approximately 2,000 animals at the clinic annually. We are looking for a positive, independent working, experienced vet technician to join our growing team. Ideal candidate will have a minimum of two years of experience working in a veterinary hospital or clinic, animal shelter experience preferred. Experience in surgical prep, recovery and dental procedures is helpful, but not required. Excellent communication, organization and technical skills are required.
- Obtain animal histories from staff, volunteers and/or veterinary records. Perform and record physical examinations and perform and/or oversee diagnostic testing as needed. Communicate all findings to attending veterinarian. Ensure that medical records are adequately documented.
- Assist or assume duties and responsibilities as scheduled, to including induction and monitoring of anesthesia, prepping for surgery, taking radiographs, and performing dental procedures.
- Maintain required supplies for veterinary examinations in areas of the shelter where examinations are performed. Ensure that examination area is clean and tidy before, between and following exams. Transport animals to examination areas and restrain animals during veterinary examinations.
- Maintain shelter laboratory area, supplies, and equipment. Collect lab samples such as blood and urine, fecal, skin scrapes, impression smears and ringworm cultures.
- Assist veterinarian with clerical tasks as needed.
- Provide training and indirect oversight for Ellis Clinic volunteers as needed.
- Provide medical information and fill prescriptions for fosters and in-house animals as needed.
- Assist with or perform euthanasia as required.
- Provide fosters, adopters, and animal program staff with clear communication and information regarding the animals in their care
- Maintain updated animal records through immediate data entry during and after each appointment
- Report declining patients and urgent needs to veterinary staff immediately
- Review medical records as needed to ensure all requested prescriptions are accurate and appropriate for the specific animal
- Maintain a clean working environment and always use appropriate spread of disease prevention.
Qualifications and skills
- Proficiency in standard veterinary technician skills, including but not limited to proper handling and restraint techniques, blood draws and diagnostics, skin scrapes, TPR, SQ/IM/IV injections, and catheter placement.
- Must possess moderate to expert veterinary pharmacy knowledge
- Must have a thorough knowledge of prescription veterinary medications and their uses
- Must have basic knowledge of common dog and cat illnesses, injuries, conditions, and diagnostics and run basic medical tests
- Ability to do precise drug calculations and create accurate prescription labels
- Ability to work independently in a busy and dynamic environment
- Must be comfortable and competent in handling large dogs and working with any behavior issues.
- Excellent communications, organizational and technical skills.
- Shows maturity, good judgment and performs duties in a professional manner.
- Proficiency with personal computers, MS Word, MS Excel, Shelter database software
- Ability to lift 50lbs without assistance and lift up to 100 lbs. with assistance.