Job Title: Volunteer Manager
Job Type: Full time, some remote with onsite requirements
Reports to: Operations Director
Direct Reports: OTAT volunteers
Key Work Partners: Facility Managers, Operations Leadership, Foster Team, Adoptions Team, Volunteers
The Volunteer Manager is a full-time position supporting One Tail at a Time’s animal operations. Overseeing implementation of a branded volunteer program to include individual and group volunteers and interns to supplement staff resources with an eye toward increasing diversity at OTAT and within the field of animal welfare.
This position will serve as the primary contact for all volunteers and will be responsible for recruitment, training, management, and evaluation of all One Tail at a Time volunteers to provide a streamlined experience and ensure efficient use of volunteer resources. The Volunteer Manager also plays a key role in facilitating on and offsite events. Continuing to embrace One Tail at a Time’s community mentality that values individual contributions to OTAT’s operations, keeping overhead low so that the organization can devote financial resources to our animals and community.
- Works with directors and managers to assess volunteer needs and develops roles to support programming as needed.
- Coordinate the scheduling of weekly and special events for volunteers and fosters including but not limited to group volunteer events, play groups, booster vaccine administration, nose work and donation sorting.
- Collaborate with volunteers and staff to create fewer barriers to joining the OTAT community including, but not limited to, the creation of a supportive and efficient self-guided volunteer orientation.
- Confirm with OTAT’s Foster Mentor Team that delivery and transportation requests are fulfilled. If requests cannot be fulfilled, the Manager may be required to personally fulfill those requests.
- Communicate with volunteers to keep them properly informed of policy and procedural changes and organizational news.
- Develop and maintain volunteer and foster manuals for volunteers and fosters to provide information and expectations.
- Supports paid staff to ensure sufficient training for volunteer roles in their department.
- Stays aware of operational needs and energizes the volunteer community around those needs through education and acknowledgement.
- Conducts initiatives to support, thank, and encourage volunteers
- Encourages staff to engage with the volunteer community in constructive and meaningful ways (lunch and learns, team building opportunities, etc)
- Engages in productive, crucial conversations with volunteers around OTAT’s code of conduct and other sensitive topics.
- In collaboration with Facility Managers, identify and proactively fill any gaps in coverage across facilities.
- Possess a basic understanding of how all onsite housing facilities operate to support staff and volunteer coverage.
- Onsite shifts at any animal housing facility, should coverage be required.
- Bilingual Spanish strongly preferred
- Minimum of 3 years leading a team
- Experience working as a volunteer or with groups of volunteers
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Ability to travel to OTAT facilities
- Strong dog handling skills preferred
- Valid Illinois driver’s license preferred